Sunday, April 25, 2010

Happy Girl

Sumana has been so much happier this week. I hadn't realized how the stress had been affecting her. After watching 'the little boy' this week, she commented how much she loves taking care of babies . . . 'They're so much fun.' Then she commented about how our last foster care experience was NOT fun!

Thanks to those of you who prayed for the single mom we're trying to help. It sounds like things are not as bad as she first thought. I also re-read my last point and realized that it sounded like I was probably talking about racial prejudice, but I'm actually becoming much more aware of prejudice toward people with mental illness. The girl that was living with us definitely is dealing with some sort of mental issue and so is the mom who is currently in crisis.

Since I have struggled with depression for years, I guess I can understand the overwhelming feelings that overtake some people . . . how they can feel so alone and hopeless. When the mom came to pick up her son, she was a new woman. Just a break to 'get her head together' and to do some things for HERSELF really seemed to energize her. How ironic that I, too, was energized by watching her little boy. It's indescribable, really. My own kids used to wear me out, but now if I help a family in need by watching a young child I'm energized. It's pretty cool when you know you're doing what God wants you to be doing!

Back on the subject of Sumana, she has been having a lot of pain this weekend. I had planned on calling her doctor today, but we seem to have found a balance of pain meds that's working, so I guess I'll wait til tomorrow. She is scheduled to see her doctor on Wednesday, but because she's having more and more pain I at least want to touch bases with him. I'm concerned that the VEPTR has moved or become loose . . . something's going on. I'll let you know more when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment