Saturday, July 2, 2011

You need an update!

I can't believe how the time flies. I apologize for not posting sooner. Sumana is doing really well, but is trying all kinds of new things. Once I find the cord to download pictures from my camera, I'll share a visual of her latest exploits.

First of all, she is getting nightly eyedrops to keep her left eye dilated and basically useless. This is to force her weaker, right eye to engage and hopefully improve its vision. The bummer I've encountered, though, is that she can't read AT ALL with this current regime. I called Dr. Harvey and he commented that he and I have differing and conflicting goals for Sumana. I need her to continue to work on her reading, he needs her to improve her distance vision from 6-10 feet. He suggested reading glasses to help us both reach our goals for Sumana.

Sumana now uses 2.0+ reading glasses for reading in both books and on the computer. I never have to ask her to put them on. They must make enough difference that she knows to wear them when doing close-up work. How cool is that? To work on her distance vision, each day I write spelling words and math problems on the white board and place it at one end of our kitchen. She sits at the far end of the kitchen and copies the things I've written for her. She knows this is for the benefit of her vision, but mom is happy that she's also reviewing spelling, reading and math while working on her vision! (I'm so sneaky!!)

For those of you who have kids with vision issues, check out this website: I met a family at the homeschool convention in Harrisburg, PA, who recommended Dr. Bowen and his website. He also has videos on youtube.com. He is a neurological optometrist and deals with alot of crazy vision problems. Quite often, he uses prism glasses to help his patients. Dr. Harvey has mentioned this treatment for Sumana once her vision improvement plateaus.

July promises to be a busy one with appointments. Mr. Ray will check out her orthotic braces soon and let us know if Sumana needs new ones. She has her yearly sleep study and then goes right to 4 days of Kids' Camp at LeTourneau. She sees Dr. Harvey again after that.

Another new addition for the summer is Aqua-therapy with Mr. Darryl from the Happiness House. (He works on Occupational Therapy with Sumana). Since I work Monday afternoons, Daddy takes Sumana to therapy. On Thursdays, she has her regular PT with Miss Becca. She's growing like crazy. I'll upload new pictures as soon as I can.

P.S. If that website didn't link up right, here it is again: www.simplybrainy.com

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read the old post, I couldn't help but think, "Paul Harvey, good day!" Glad you've found a way to help both of you reach your goals! Sounds like things are going along fairly smoothly for the summer which I KNOW is not normal! Hope you're finding time for some relaxation!

    ReplyDelete