Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sleep Study

Well, after a series of phone calls and e-mails we have a plan for Sumana's sleep study. While I thought it would be advantageous (timing-wise) to skip the consult and get right to the sleep study, it looks like the the consult is necessary. Dr. Maggie (Sumana's pulmonary doctor) is finishing her fellowship at the U of R and moving to Florida later this month. In order to ensure continuity of care, we decided it's better to actually meet with the doctor at the pediatric sleep center (who is also a pulmonary doctor!). I guess they can tailor the sleep study to Sumana's specific needs. For example, she doesn't normally snore, but she did set off the O2 monitor several times while she was in the PICU. So, I guess there is some way to address these issues. I'll have to let you know more after we meet with the doctor. Anyway, the consult appointment is July 1st and the sleep study is July 5th. Only a few weeks away!!

It's been awhile since I showed a picture of the VEPTR. Sumana's surgery for the implant is August 27th. The Vertical Expandable Prosthetic Titanium Ribs (VEPTR) will be attached to her 'extra ribs' and should help to straighten her scoliosis curve and eventually expand her chest cavity (thus, hopefully improve her lung function). It will be a full 6 recovery. Can you imagine getting used to metal rods just beneath your skin??? Ewwwww. It creeps me out! But, I guess I have to be Machiavellian and trust that the end result is worth it!

Well, since we were hoping to have Sumana's surgery in June, we didn't plan anything for the summer. Well, now we're enjoying coming up with some plans. Beach days at the lake are a MUST. I expect to get my WSI certification card any day now and hope to spend a good deal of time at LeTourneau Christian Center. I will be their 'waterfront director.' I think it's mostly an impressive-sounding title, but I hope to be at the lake a lot with the kids. Gretchen will be there working beginning next week. We also have several graduation parties, weddings and showers. Sumana is really looking forward to them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment