Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The 'Before' Pictures



Well, Sumana said it was okay to post these pictures, so I didn't ask twice! Here's what her back looks like now. You can see her May scars at the lower end of her back and the scar between her shoulder blades is from the spina bifida surgery that was done when she was 3 days old. Her scoliosis curve is about 51 degrees, a lot of kids are MUCH worse . .. around 80 degree curves. I'm really hopeful that her curve will get down to 30 degrees (or less, dare I hope???)
Thank you soooo much for your prayers. The cheerleader in me is taking over and I just keep reminding Sumana about how things went in May. Though this is a much longer and more serious surgery, she still will see the PICU (pediatric ICU) when she wakes up, she'll still have the button to call the nurse and she remembers how to use the 1-10 pain scale. We're good to go!!
A lot of you have asked if these rods will be with her for life. The answer is 'no'. These are adjustable rods designed to help her 'grow straight'. When she stops growing, they will be removed. So many kids with scoliosis seem to end up with short torsos and long legs. The VEPTR will give Sumana's torso a chance to grow. It'll be great to see it catch up with her long legs!
I'll call the hospital later this afternoon to get the surgery time. I'll post it here as soon as I know.

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, Sumana, and family,
    The big day is almost here. I know it must be hard to know how to feel...anxious, hopeful, petrified!! Call it all by name before God and He will give you the strength to see each day. Please know that we will be praying on your behalf!!! We love you!
    Megan, Matt, and family

    ReplyDelete