I hesitated to post earlier today because of my experience on Sunday. But, the tube is out! She had a bit of a rough 'go' this morning . . . labored breathing and lots of wheezing (she was totally off vent support). They gave her LOTS and LOTS of albuterol over the 2 hours before extubation and seemed to be ready around 10 am. They took out the vent tube and immediately put her on a Bi-pap machine. This is giving her pressure with every breath, as well as 40 percent oxygen. After a lot of tears earlier, she is resting comfortably.
I was concerned that when they extubated Sumana, they would send us out to the 'regular' floor. However, she is considered high-risk, so they're going to keep a close eye on her before they send her out. I have even requested that they keep her here til she goes home. As long as there is adequate nursing staff, they will honor the request and just drop her level of care to that of a normal floor. Please pray that she would be able to stay here. I really feel the doctors understand the complexity of her pulmonary issues and I'd hate to try to have to go through the 'learning curve' with another set of doctors when she's already on the road to recovery.
And, FYI, I got to stay in my Ronald McDonald House room another night. I haven't heard if I will still have it tonight, or not. Actually, I'm not sure if Sumana will let me leave her. We'll have to wait and see. At any rate, I have an unrestricted pass to the House til September 10 (I hope we're long gone by then!!)